· Philips Respironics upgraded their Software. What they did was took a really good machine and made it better.
· The new DS560 Remstar Auto responds to your body needs much more quickly than their DS550 model. Same thing for their Remstar Pro CPAP. The DS460 is better than their DS450 machines.
· (Just my personal opinion….I still like the ResMed S9 Elite CPAP machines a little better for my personal use. I guarantee you will love this unit. If you have never ever used a CPAP unit before in your life, you might not realize the subtle differences between a Respironics CPAP and a ResMed CPAP machine.
If you have a chance, try out different brands before settling on one brand. But that is hard to do. It's like driving a BMW or an Audi, they are both high performance cars...or in this case...CPAP machines.)
· The DS460 Remstar Pro and DS560 Remstar Auto use a 60-Watt power supply. However if you use the DS6T Heated Humidifier with Heated Tubing (something I highly recommend), you will be given an 80-Watt Power Supply to power up the Heated Tubing.
· “Auto-Trial” – it checks to see at what pressure where you actually using for 90% of the time while you were asleep using your CPAP.
Now with this information, the doctor can prescribe a more precise setting. We usually program it for a 7-day period. (ResMed CPAP units do not have this feature yet)
· When someone complains their CPAP pressure is way too strong or too weak, the doctor will request to engage the Auto-Trial to see what would be appropriate setting. Very powerful feature.
· “CPAP Check” …checks on your usage every 30 hours to determine if CPAP therapy pressure is optimal. It will automatically adjust the CPAP pressure by 1 cmh20 to obtain an ideal cpap pressure. It will never increase or decrease the setting more that 3cmH20 from the original prescribed CPAP setting. (So far I personally haven’t had any Sleep Physician prescribe this mode yet). (ResMed CPAP units do not have this feature yet)
· “Opti-Start” … It allows the therapy to start closer to the therapy pressure. This is my personal opinion…do not have the Home Medical Equipment Company initially turn it on. Wait until you are truly comfortable with your Remstar AutoCPAP machine settings first. After you feel you have adjusted to your CPAP and you wish it would start at a higher pressure so that you don’t feel like you are not getting enough air, then have them turn this feature on. (ResMed CPAP units do not have this feature yet)
· Mask Fit Check - press the ramp and you have a 40 second leak test. A check mark will indicate if it passes the leak test or an X for failing the leak test.
· A-Flex provides flow-based pressure relief at the beginning of exhalation. Trust me you will like it. It makes exhaling easy.
· “Mask Fit” …. You can do a test to see if you have a good seal on your CPAP Mask.
· "Leaks".... if the machine sense a mask leak, it will decrease the CPAP pressure, not increase it. This way the mask re-seals on your face. In the meantime you not woken up by this big rush of air blowing at you just because the mask started to leak while you shifted around in bed and knocked you mask off.
· Snore ....it knows when you are Snoring. Then it will raise the pressure accordingly.
· You can use both 15mm and 22 mm tubing. But why? Get the Heated Tubing to reduce condensation and enjoy a richer humidification experience.
· You must get the DS6T Heated Humidifier with Heated Tubing.
· This humidifier offers three levels of humidification (70, 80 or 90 percent) and the heated tube has five levels of temperature available, ranging from 4 to 16 degrees above the room temperature. These two features work together to deliver the optimum humidification level at the mask.
· If water ever leaks it is trapped in the dry box. There is a one-way valve outlet that helps stop the water from entering the blower.
· Operating temperature is 41 degrees F to 95 degrees F.
· DS6T - length=7, width=5.5inches, height=4inches.
· Weight= about 1.9 lbs.
· Holds about 325 ml or 11 ounces.
· Relative Humidity= Setting # 1 ….70%, Setting#2…80%, Setting#3….90%.
· Heated tubing temperature = 60F to 89F.
· You could put the Heater in Classic Mode…why ? Severe dryness ...example if someone suffers from Sjögren's syndrome....you could benefit from this setting.
· Prewarm it ! You can prewarm the heated humidifier before using your CPAP machine, just like the Resmed’s H5i Heated Humidifier. This way you will get rich humidified air the moment you turn on your CPAP.
· 270 degree swivel not 360. Great location.
· You can’t attach the older humidifier to this newer CPAP units.
· Data is stored on SD card, hard drive and a wireless modem can be hooked up to it to wirelessly transmit the critical data to the software the doctor has. I wish you the consumer could get it also but not in this generation machines
· 2-year warranty.
· Length=7 inches x Width=5.5 X Height=4 inches.
· Data is stored on hard drive on a rolling 6 months and I think one year on the SD card.
· It is quiet but not as quiet as the ResMed S9 Autoset.